As we age, our skin will go through a series of annoying changes, it’s inevitable. Due to environmental factors as well as genetics and hormonal changes, our skin will eventually begin to dry, sag, wrinkle, thin and bruise more easily. In fact, some people will begin to see these frightening changes as early as their mid 30’s. However, while we cannot avoid the fated, there are many things we can do to delay it. If we adopt a few natural habits and ditch a few bad ones, we can encourage the presence of younger looking skin.
10 Natural Ways to Encourage Younger Looking Skin:
- Stay hydrated: Dehydrated skin can cause an imbalance of the skin’s PH which can reduce its ability to retain moisture. Skin with minimal moisture can result in premature aging in the form of flaky, rough and wrinkly skin. To avoid the aging effects of dehydration the obvious solution is to stay hydrated – certain medications, as well as chemical exposure and lack of fluids can result in dehydration. Make an effort to consume at least eight glasses of pure water a day and limit your exposure to toxic cleaners.
- Shield your skin from UV rays: While basking in the sun is the best way to supply the body with essential vitamin D, too much exposure can result in photoaging. When the skin is abused with excess UV rays the result can be leathery skin, broken blood vessels, loss of elasticity, dark spots, and harmful tumors. To shield your skin from UV rays, you must apply all natural sunscreen throughout the day (conventional sunscreen contains harsh ingredients that can toxify the skin). Additionally, eating foods rich in lycopene, polyphenols and omegas can supply you with internal SPF properties.
- Dry brush your skin: Dry skin brushing is a simple form of exfoliation and massage that can help firm the skin, combat cellulite, open clogged pores and encourage lymph drainage. You can get into the habit of dry brushing your skin every day before getting into the shower. You will need a natural soft bristle brush, not synthetic. Start gently brushing your skin from the soles of your feet and work your way up, gently brush every part of your body including your face in an upward motion.
- Eat skin loving foods: Continually consuming foods rich in antioxidants, vitamins and minerals can result in creamy, touchable skin. Eat more nuts, fresh fruit and vegetables as well as salmon, yogurt, hemp seeds and flax seeds. Additionally, the properties of coconut oil, raw apple cider vinegar, and lacto-fermented foods can contribute to firmer skin.
- Detox regularly: Regularly detoxing is the best way to rid the body of built up toxins that contribute to premature aging. You can detox easily by juicing and consuming at least four glasses of lemon water every day and also by increasing your fiber intake.
- Use all natural skin care: Make an effort to use all natural skin care products instead of the conventional chemical based alternatives, as the chemicals can cause more harm than good. Look for natural soaps and washes as well as all natural lotions, body butters and face creams.
- Exercise: regularly exercising will help keep the body firm while also aiding in detox. Make an effort to do at least 20 minutes of cardio, strength training, and stretching exercises at least four times a week.
- Stress less: Stress is a negative emotion that can influence physical symptoms in the form of premature aging. Continually stressing can produce worry lines on the forehead, sagging in the eyes and cheeks and dry skin. Find a way to combat your stressors – seek counsel, do more of what makes you happy and avoid all forms of negativity.
- Take colder showers: Taking colder showers in lieu of hot ones is one of the best things you can do for your body. Colder water holds moisture better than hot water – it can rejuvenate the skin, detox the body, jumpstart metabolism and enhance overall immunity.
- Ditch bad habits: Bad habits such as smoking, drinking, inadequate sleeping can contribute to premature aging, so ditch it.
So there you have it – I hope these ten natural tips inspires you to look outside the conventional. What natural tips can you share to promote younger looking skin?